We at Missions Ablaze feed about 1000 people, a meal every day, for many of them this is their ONLY meal. Missions Ablaze has various soup kitchens operating and we strive to open new soup kitchens when we can! It costs $250 (R 3, 750.00) to equip a soup kitchen and the cost of feeding one hungry person a cup of soup and bread costs $0.95c (R 13.50) currently.
Here are some statistics about hunger from the website of CARE - an organization dedicated to fighting global poverty:
- More than 840 million people in the world suffer malnourished — 799 million of them live in the developing world.
- More than 153 million of the world’s malnourished people are children under the age of 5.
- 6 million children under the age of 5 die every year as a result of hunger.
- Malnutrition can severely affect a child’s intellectual development. Malnourished children often have stunted growth and score significantly lower on math and language achievement tests than do well-nourished children.
- Lack of dietary diversity, essential minerals and vitamins also contributes to increased child and adult mortality. Vitamin A deficiency impairs the immune system, increasing the annual death toll from measles and other diseases by an estimated 1.3 million-2.5 million children.
- While every country in the world has the potential of growing enough food to feed itself, 54 nations currently do not produce enough food to feed their populations, nor can they afford to import the necessary commodities to make up the gap. Most of these countries are in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Most of the widespread hunger in a world of plenty results from grinding, deeply rooted poverty. In any given year, however, between 5 and 10 percent of the total can be traced to specific events: droughts or floods, armed conflict, political, social and economic disruptions.
Help us to feed more
You can help us to feed more people each day by:
Donating money, volunteering of your time, and becoming a short term missionary volunteer worker.